You can leave them with soft centers and seal them up tight or you can let them sit in the air 24 hours after baking them. They then become a more crisp/dry treat.
These are people consumption friendly, and gluten free. I hope you (or rather your pup) enjoys!
This makes a very large batch. About 23 dozen (approx. 275 treat balls.) You could cut this recipe in half easily, but I always make a full large batch for my two dogs and my in laws dogs next door when ever I make these.
The dogs love them, and the kids like them too...So it's a win win for snacks.
When I make them I use all the ingredients (including the optional ones).
Moist Ingredients (*Optional):
1/2 Cup Raw Organic Honey
4 Lg Ripe Bananas
1 Can Unsweetened Applesauce (I use organic, or homemade natural)
1 Can Pumpkin Puree (I use organic, or homemade puree, NOT pie mix)
1 Cup Organic Ground Flax
1 Cup Peanut Butter (organic/natural creamy or crunchy, make sure it DOESN'T contain xylitol)
*4 Lg Eggs
*1/2 Cup Organic Coconut Oil (unrefined virgin coconut oil is best for consumption for people and dogs)
*1 Tbl Organic Cinnamon
Dry Ingredients (One or the other, **Add more or less oatmeal/flour if needed to get the thick consistency):
**8+ Cups Oatmeal
**4+ Cups Oatmeal
1 24oz Bag Gluten Free Rice Flour (brown or white rice flour, approx 3 1/2 cups)
- In a 6qt stand mixer with paddle blade, mix all moist ingredients together on low-med, then add dry ingredients 1/2 Cup at a time on med until mixed. Should be very thick.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, use a teaspoon and scoop rounded scoops, roll into balls (approx 1 in in diameter), and bake for 10 min.
- Remove right away and toss into a large bowl to cool.
- Once cooled let your pet enjoy!
You can substitute 1 1/2 cups brewers yeast powder made for pets in place of the rice flour or oatmeal, this helps as a natural flea repellent (NOT a treatment, but repellent), but if you add this, they become non-human consumption friendly.